Fried Veggies

When I was a kid, I tended to like greasy, deep-fried or pan-fried vegetables. As I've gotten older, I've tended more towards baked, boiled and stir-fried vegetables.

Children need more fats than adults. The brain contains a lot of fatty tissues and growing brains and bodies just need more dietary fat, so it's really not crazy for kids to like the greasy foods that many adults eschew as unhealthy and fattening.

As a teen, I used to eat at a Japanese fast food place at the mall. The only thing I ever ordered was their tempura fried vegetables with brown rice.

I liked this so much that I found a box mix of tempura batter at the store and learned to make it at home. Of course, these days you can google up a recipe for the batter online if you wish.

I began making it myself at home in part because they never gave me enough of the vegetables I liked the most, so making it myself let me make more of my favorites. If I recall correctly, broccoli and sweet potatoes were two of the vegetables I liked the most.

When done right, tempura fried vegetables are lighter than western-style fried veggies. Tempura fried onions are a potential alternative to western-style onion rings if you like onions but find onion ring recipes too heavy most of the time.
Tempura can also be used to prepare meat or seafood. Depending on the batter recipe used, tempura vegetables can be a vegan dish.
I also liked thin-cut, battered or parmesan-crusted fried zuchini as a teen. I don't think I've ever found another way I actually like having zucchini, but if it's fried and nicely crispy I really enjoy it.

I will also eat fried okra. Okra has a bad reputation in some circles as a slimy vegetable, so a lot of people have decided they don't like it or are hesitant to try it. I've certainly tried dishes that made me understand why, but if it's fried or in certain Cajun-style soups, I'm fine with it.

Fire Safety

Because cooking oil is flammable, deep frying increases the risk of having a kitchen fire. If you are a teen, make sure you have adult supervision the first few times you deep fry anything and review local fire safety rules for your jurisdiction because equipment, electrical systems, etc vary from place to place. (I personally wouldn't let younger children deep fry anything.)

In my teens and twenties, I probably started something like half a dozen kitchen fires. Most of those were grease fires and all of the grease fires were promptly put out by turning off the source of heat and/or smothering the flames by covering them with a pot lid.
Deep frying is NOT a low prep method where you start it and walk away. I was able to put those fires out immediately because I was right there the entire time.
The only kitchen fire I started that required a fire extinguisher to put out and resulted in a mini kitchen remodel was not my fault. I was still living with my parents and I put bread in their ancient toaster, an appliance older than I was.

The doorbell rang and I went to answer it. Next thing I knew, my brother was putting out a fire in the kitchen.

While I was out of the room, the ancient toaster threw sparks onto an appliance cover next to it and the appliance cover caught fire. The countertop was damaged enough that it needed to be replaced.
Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Keeping appliances so long that they set your kitchen on fire is not actually the cheap answer.
One of the grease fires I started was due to grease accumulating in the reflector pan.
CLEAN everything thoroughly afterwards if you deep fry. Do not let grease accumulate on surfaces.
I no longer deep fry anything at home. I'm content to get deep fried goodies from restaurants when I crave them.

Popular Posts