Cooking with Sea Salt

I have a condition that involves misprocessing salt and other electrolytes. For this and other reasons, I have researched salt and I've gotten very picky about what kind of salt I consume.

I don't consume table salt. It has a lot of additives, such as anti-caking (stuff -- need to look up word) and iodine, that I just don't tolerate well. Kosher salt and canning and pickling salt are more tolerable than table salt but if I can get it I go with sea salt.

When I was really sick, I special ordered Celtic Sea Salt. If I recall correctly, it is around 86 percent salt (sodium chloride) and 14 percent other minerals found in the ocean.

If you have serious, longstanding electrolyte imbalance, salt deficiency, etc, you will find that all the related minerals are deranged as well and you will do better to get a natural sea salt that contains those other minerals. There may be other brands out there. Celtic is just the one I happen to know.

When I used to recommend sea salt on health lists, I got all this push back from people because it looks funny (it's sort of gray-ish, not white) and it comes in larger clumps.

The different coloring is just that it contains other minerals. There's nothing WRONG with it.

You do need to learn to COOK a little differently and adjust your process. Most cookbooks or online recipes say to add salt to the DRY ingredients. You will want to add it to the WET ingredients and give it a few minutes to melt a bit.

You can also get a grinder to help make it work a bit more like "normal" table salt, but you will probably still need to add it to wet ingredients and let it sit a few minutes to melt a little.

These days, I typically get whatever sea salt is available at the grocery store and it comes with a built-in grinder. That helps. It is STILL a bit more coarse than table salt which doesn't bother me. I've been doing this a lot of years and you get used to accounting for that.

If you just need to avoid the extra additives, the sea salt from the store is fine. If you actually need to address salt derangement, I recommend special ordering Celtic Sea Salt or finding another brand like it that contains a high percentage of other minerals found naturallyy in sea water.

Popular Posts