Hearty Hot Cereals

I grew up in the American Deep South where grits are a thing. You go far enough west in the Continental US and they stop serving that in chain restaurants that have it where I grew up.

Grits are made from corn, so good for pH balance, better than wheat-based dishes. I tolerate corn better than wheat, so I can eat as much corn as I want whereas I have to limit how much wheat I eat.

When I lived in Germany for a few years in my twenties, I couldn't get grits at the store -- or maybe couldn't get them reliably -- even though I was a military wife, so most of my grocery shopping was being done at an American establishment. So I learned to make polenta, which I thought of as "Italian grits."

I have read that polenta is peasant food, meaning it's cheap and works as a hearty breakfast that will stick to your ribs while you work physically hard for hours until lunchtime. It's also a vegetarian dish and from what I gather it does get used as an alternative to wheat-based noodles in some lunch or dinner meals in Italy.

I basically bought corn meal, stirred it into boiling salted water and used it as a direct substitute for grits. You have to be real consistent about stirring until it's all gotten soaked or you get lumps. Other than that, it's not hard to make.

When I was pregnant with my first child and later breastfeeding him, I used to make cream of wheat using whole milk and add wheat germ and tofu to it. When it was finished cooking, I would toss in frozen blueberries or frozen strawberries to sweeten it slightly without making it too sugary.

Blueberries have a heartier texture than strawberries and hold up better when stirring into a hot cereal.

My second pregnancy was easier and I found I couldn't eat this with that pregnancy. It's REALLY rich and did not appeal to me when I wasn't desperate for nutrients.

You could potentially step it down and use EITHER wheat germ OR tofu to enrich it if this is too enriched but you need something heartier than cream of wheat.

When I am real sick, I frequently eat breakfast foods in place of dinner and hearty hot cereals are a good candidate for that if bacon and eggs aren't really your thing. You can add cheese to polenta if you want more flavor or more protein.

Popular Posts