Leftover Spaghetti Noodles

I mostly don't do leftovers. I have a compromised immune system and I get food poisoning much easier than average and twice I was much, much sicker than the other person who ate the same thing I did and got food poisoning as well.

There are a few exceptions and one of those is that when I make spaghetti, I just cook the entire package of noodles and put the leftover noodles in the fridge. There is very low risk of food poisoning and they are handy for cooking up noodles with fried eggs as a quick meal.

My son who has the same genetic disorder I have was a picky eater as a kid and I was very accommodating because even before we got diagnosed, I just understood he must have had his reasons because I'm a picky eater and I have my reasons.

When I made homemade spaghetti, he basically ate hot noodles with cheese. He didn't like the spaghetti sauce and I didn't make him eat it.

So from a very, very young age, he would eat cold leftover spaghetti noodles with cheese and other than it being cold, it was essentially what he ate for dinner when I cooked fresh, but with almost no prep and he could handle it himself.
He was less than two years old when he began going into the fridge to get himself cold leftover noodles without asking me. So I left it in the plastic colander, covered it with a shatter-resistant plate and stuck it on the BOTTOM shelf. (He STILL managed to break a few plates.)
When he was maybe six or seven, I bought a kitchen gadget for slicing and coring apples. He was able to use this to make his own apple slices and I encouraged him to add apple slices to his bowl of cold noodles and cheese to have a more well-rounded meal.

After that, I felt FINE about this being a meal he could make for himself without bugging mom. Before that, I was fine with him eating it but I thought of it more like a hearty snack.

I kept Romano cheese in the house for him. He liked it better than Parmesan. (Stored on a low shelf in the fridge door for his convenience when he was little.)

Romano is basically Parmesan made from sheep or goat milk, not cow milk. We have trouble tolerating large quantities of products made from cow milk and this is a somewhat common issue with our genetic disorder and gets worse when we are having more health issues generally.

Popular Posts