Nutrition and Weight Loss

You've probably heard "Diets don't work" and "Counting calories doesn't work." I have never counted calories though I have lost weight, a story touched on elsewhere.

We have an obesity epidemic and some people chalk that up to car-centric lifestyles and junk-food diets. We do this even though it’s been understood for some time that many of our most important foods have been getting less nutritious.

To my mind, this is likely a better explanation for most of the obesity epidemic, though I am all for creating more walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods, among other things. And science agrees with my personal anecdotal evidence though I am not seeing many people suggest a link between the two things:
When the researchers shined more light on the algae, the algae grew faster, and the tiny animals had lots and lots to eat—but at a certain point they started struggling to survive.
Anecdotally, I have lost multiple dress sizes by eating a more nutrient-dense diet geared towards accommodating my underlying condition and various food sensitivities. Additionally, when one of my sons was getting quite large and it was putting pressure on his bad back, his brother told me "He is sucking down chocolate pop tarts."

So I took him shopping for higher quality, darker chocolate on the theory that he was craving the chocolate per se. In other words the cocoa.

That was the ONLY change we made to his life and I didn't say another word to him about his weight. I just bought him dark chocolate and he began to slim down.

I have long believed that "diets don't work" because most overweight people are malnourished and they keep eating trying to get the nutrients they need. In my experience, the best and easiest way to lose weight is to improve the nutritional value of the food you eat and it should work without counting calories.

Popular Posts