Raw Potato Salads

I used to ROUTINELY eat raw potatoes as a snack in my youth and just peeled an Idaho potato and munched on it. These days, I am much more likely to have other kinds of potatoes on hand, some variety that does not require peeling, like Dutch yellow potatoes, red potatoes or new potatoes of some sort (red, yellow, purple, mixed).

Tonight, I had red potatoes on hand, rinsed and cut up one of them, salted and peppered it and added snow peas to make a very simple raw salad. I liked it a LOT. Wow does cutting up the potatoes so they are crunchy little bites instead of biting into a whole potato feel completely different in ways I did not expect.

So I am wondering about raw potato salads and the first one I found online was the Chinese potato salad recipe (below) which is not actually raw.

Some general thoughts:

What I did tonight was fine because it was salad for one eaten IMMEDIATELY after cutting up the potato, but cut raw potatoes turn brown when they sit for any length of time. Salt or lemon can prevent that and soaking in ice water, cooking briefly or using vinegar in the recipe is likely a pattern I am noticing in these salads which helps prevent that.

I really liked the crunch factor of the potatoes and the snow peas. I'm wondering what other raw veggies might crunch like that to go with raw potatoes.

Radishes came to mind but I don't really like radishes (coincidentally, one of the recipes below includes radish). My mother would eat raw radishes on sandwiches when I was growing up and NOT MY THING, but I did like kohlrabi raw. They are sharp like radishes but not AS sharp.

So a thing for me to keep in mind for the future: What other veggies would work RAW as part of a raw potato salad?

Needs more research, but raw potato salad is actually a thing and there are recipes online.

This recipe for Chinese Potato Salad is not actually a COLD PREP meal because you boil the shredded potatoes for ONE MINUTE and pour heated oil over it, but potentially LUNCHBOX friendly.

Here is another variation of this same recipe with a long, informative article which suggests you should generally not peel potatoes because much of the nutrition is in the peel.

Here is a Raw Potato Salad that includes Daikon radish. It is inspired by or recreated from the signature dish of a Honolulu restaurant.

There are apparently quite a few variations of raw Chinese potato salad online which all claim this is a popular dish in China and readily found in restaurants there but I'm not readily finding much else on the topic. (One "raw potato salad" recipe used something other than potato for the potato part of the recipe.)

Popular Posts