Food Stamps
If you are American and receive food stamps, here are a few ideas:
1. The only legal way to convert a portion of your food stamps to cash money is to recycle drink containers at cash-for-trash places.
No, I'm absolutely NOT suggesting you convert a hundred dollars worth of food stamps to a few dollars in cash by pouring it out. (Yes, I'm saying that because some random Internet stranger interpreted it that way once.)
Just keep your empties and find a place to turn them in. That plus a dollar store helped keep me in essentials not covered by food stamps -- such as tampons -- while I was homeless and extremely destitute.
2. In some states, some people with food stamps can purchase hot meals for restaurants. You need to be over age sixty or disabled or homeless and may need to request this in specific. Search for SNAP RMP or SNAP Restaurant Meals Program for details.
3. I don't know how to look this up, but some states automatically cover hot foods from your grocery store, like rotisserie chicken and sides.
4. If you have an inadequate kitchen or no kitchen and your state doesn't do this, you may be able to buy a rotisserie chicken with cash for a few dollars and cover the rest of the meal with items covered by food stamps, such as prepackaged cold potato salad or other premade salads, your choice of bread and any fruits or vegetables you are willing to eat raw or can cook.
5. Cold prep ramen is entirely covered by food stamps and I'm happy to eat it regularly. Buy the kind of ramen that comes in a cup and your choice of pre chopped vegetables. Add tap water and vegetables, let it sit a few minutes. Eat.
Comments
Post a Comment