Shelf Stable

I don't seem to have this information here already. I probably left it in comments on various forums over the years.

Protein 
Homeless services skew towards giving out tons of peanut butter because it's a high protein food that doesn't require refrigeration. That's far from your only option.

1. Beef jerky 
2. BabyBel cheese is fine so long as the wax isn't broken.
3. Hard cheeses are good for a time without refrigeration. Pizza places routinely leave grated Parmesan on all the tables. Romano is essentially a non-cow version of Parmesan and that's useful to know for people who don't tolerate dairy from cows well.
4. Dried fish.
5. Been dip and queso so long as it's unopened. Must be consumed in one sitting or thrown out.
6. It's also possible to find tons of things like tuna and bags of shelf-stable chicken these days.

Easy Meals
There are multiple posts on Eclogiselle under the Cold Prep Ramen label with ideas for brown bag lunches and survival foods.

Ramen in a cup can have bottled water and dried vegetables and dried meats added. No cooking is required. Add your water, add your dried or fresh ingredients and wait for a few minutes.

Other
Butter doesn't absolutely need to be refrigerated. Many people leave it on the table, sometimes in a butter bell.

If you clarify it -- cook off the milk solids on low heat -- it keeps for several weeks without refrigeration. Some estimates say up to four months.

Ghee is a variation on clarified butter that is a little darker and slightly more toasted flavor. This is available in glass jars at some grocery stores, sometimes including Walmart.

If you are camping, I recommend transferring it to a squeezable plastic container for convenience and safety.

Clarified butter and ghee are safe for lactose intolerant people because the lactose gets cooked off.

Coconut oil doesn't require refrigeration. It needs to be kept warm to remain liquid. It turns solid if it's too cold.

It's typically sold in glass jars and should be transferred to an appropriate container if you are camping or similar.

Powdered milk is shelf stable and can be used in place of fresh milk for things like making Mac and cheese if you have the means to cook but no refrigerator. You can also add it and a little oil to peanut butter to enrich peanut butter and make it more nutrient dense and mix it up with water for instant milk.

At one time, I traveled with powdered milk and carnation instant breakfast. Mix enough together and add cold water.

I tried traveling with irradiated milk and carnation instant breakfast, but I didn't like the flavor. I think I mixed like half a packet of powdered milk and two packets of carnation instant breakfast with a small cup of water to get something I liked.

Similarly, two packets of instant hot cocoa plus powdered milk and water is nice, but I don't know if cold water works. You may need hot water.

Historically, Native Americans made pemmican (dried meat or dried meat and fruits) as a means to store food without refrigeration and as travel foods. They didn't just eat this like jerky. It was used as a basis for adding fresh produce and cooking dinner.

I believe pemmican as a meal staple was a critical part of initial expeditions to the South Pole.

Comments