Waldorf Salads

Waldorf Salad is named in honor of the Waldorf-Astoria hotel where it was first created in the 1890s. It was initially apples and celery with some mayo perhaps served on a bed of lettuce -- various sources say different things.

By the late 1920s, it typically also included walnuts. These days, almost any salad that contains apples, celery, walnuts and lettuce may end up being called a Waldorf Salad.

I think it probably caught on because all four of those ingredients are super foods.
  • Celery and lettuce are both highly alkalinizing and a good source of fiber.
  • Apples are also alkalanizing, though not as much, and contain pectin, which does good things for skin and blood sugar.
  • Walnuts are a vegetarian source of Omega 3 oils, typically found mostly in seafood.
I think probably just about any Waldorf Salad is a good choice for eating better, so go nuts with finding or creating one you like.

The version I created in my early twenties by modifying a recipe in a magazine was a mix of apple cubes, chopped celery and chopped walnuts in gelatine served on a bed of lettuce. I used unsweetened gelatine and replaced the cold water with apple juice to make it a little sweet without being overly sugary.

I haven't made it in years and I'm currently in no position to recreate the recipe. Perhaps someday, but not today.

Popular Posts