Fresh Bread

I like good quality bread but had to limit it for years. As I've gotten healthier, I have found I can eat a reasonable amount of bread, I just have to make sure it's fresh.

Fresh Baked Store Bought

I am willing to eat bakery bread that is made fresh daily. If possible, I prefer to buy it when it is so fresh, it is still warm but that's not always possible.

Wherever I live, I scout what types of breads they make fresh daily that I might be interested in. French bread is usually reliably available and one I both like and tolerate well.

Find one YOU like and tolerate well and rest assured that fresh bread will be healthier and more nutritious than "sandwich" bread intended to be shelf stable for a week or more.

I have had plenty of simple meals that were little more than good meat and fresh bread. I like natural gravy, so to me dipping fresh bread in the meat drippings is a treat that adds a lot to a meal for little to no effort.

Enriched Corn Bread

In the US, there is a brand of cornbread muffin mix called Jiffy. It comes in a little blue box and makes six muffins.

My recollection is that the box used to instruct you to "add a half cup of water," mix and bake. Their website suggests they currently recommend adding an egg and 1/3 cup milk.

This is a good idea and makes it more nutritious and less dry, however I used to add an egg to a half cup measuring cup and enough milk to make half a cup of liquid. Eggs are not all uniform in size, so this trick gives you better consistency.

Often, I was using two boxes and would add two eggs to a one cup measuring cup and enough milk to top it off. My recollection is that two boxes is what it takes to fill a standard loaf pan or an 8-inch square pan.

Other options for enriching corn bread:
  • Add a can of corn to the mix.
  • Add 1/3 to 1/2 of a box of tofu to the mix. This does similar things to adding milk and eggs in terms of richness.
  • Add cayenne pepper and/or other spices to the mix.
  • Top with cheese about halfway through the bake cycle.

Bread Machine Bread

If baking is not your thing but you want fresh baked bread at home, a bread machine can be a nice appliance to have on hand. Start with learning one basic recipe you like and go from there.

At one time, I did have a bread machine and made fresh bread several days a week with it. Once you get the hang of it, it's not much time and effort to set it up.

If you time it such that it is ready around dinner time, this can be your fresh bread for your biggest meal of the day. It can add something special to the meal without making it a headache to produce the meal, freeing you up to cook a few breakfast steaks and grill a few veggies to go with them and still end up with a well-rounded, satisfying meal.

Popular Posts